This smoked tofu soup is one of my favorite recipes. Perfect for a thermos in a backpack. It is really nutritious without being too heavy and gives enough energy. A perfect recipe for a 10K snowshoe hike.
Source: Boost (But I modified it my way)
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp. tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 shallots
- 1 C. julienned ginger
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups diced white mushroom
- 2 carrots, diced
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 packet of smoked tofu
- 1 C. cornstarch
- 2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 cup kale leaf cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water, then pour the mixture into the soup while stirring. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and cabbage. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, stirring constantly.